Wednesday, May 22, 2013

A Girl Scout Camping Tradition

Our end-of-the-year Daisy Scout awards ceremony was a garden party, held at a local college with one of the most beautiful gardens in our area. This party was also the culmination of our Daisy Flower Garden Journey. The girls received quite a few patches that they could place in the little gift bags that my daughter and I made. They also received a special memento from our camping trip.

We wanted to start a Girl Scout camping tradition with our girls, so we collected some of the ashes from our first (and only) campfire this year. The next time we camp and build a fire, we'll sprinkle these ashes over the fire and collect the ashes of the combined campfires at the end of our campout. By the end of our scouting adventure, we'll have ashes from many campfires in our jar. I wanted each girl to have a memento of their first camping trip, something more than patches and pictures, so I gave each of them a special jar of their very own campfire ashes.

I looked for special bottles or jars at three craft stores, but I couldn't find anything that would work. I decided to use baby food jars. I spray painted the tops pink (our scouts really like pink) and printed out special labels from Shabby Princess (they match the image on the gift bags). Marcia and I both love the papers and embellishments that you can download for free from Shabby Princess. I used simple jute twine to tie the labels to the jars. This project was so simple, and the girls and moms loved it!

I also used a Shabby Princess download to make our garden party program. The girls liked this keepsake too. The larger jar of ashes was also on display for the girls to see. We'll keep adding labels to commemorate each campfire. 

It's starting to feel like summer!
--Melissa


1 comment:

  1. Your Girl Scouts are so lucky to have your creative ideas to help their memories.

    ReplyDelete