Saturday, May 18, 2013

These bags are sew much fun to make!

Honestly, I have trouble cutting and sewing a straight line. So if I can sew it, so can you. Some people thought these little gift bags looked really complicated to make. They're not. It takes about 10 minutes to sew a bag from start to finish. And my daughter and I have so much fun designing them! We recently showed you how we print a computer image onto the cloth that we use to make our bags. Now we'll show you how we add ruffle trim and sew our bags together.

I learned from experience that it's best to sew down about 1/2 to an inch from the top of your bag on both sides (where your string or ribbon will go through). Otherwise, your fabric will start to fray and get messy when you cinch your bag closed.

Then cut your ribbon or string to the length that you want (about 6 to 8 inches longer than the top of your unsewn bag). You can use Fray Check on the ends of your ribbon to keep it from unraveling, but I just hold the ends near a candle flame. The heat will melt the fibers together and keep them from unraveling. Place the ribbon at the top of your bag.

Fold over the top of your bag so that you enclose the ribbon and sew straight across (back stitch at the beginning and end). Don't sew over your ribbon--you won't be able to cinch your bag closed.

It will look like this, with the unfinished edge and seam on what will become the inside of your bag...

Now we're going to add the ruffle trim. I've used ribbons for this in the past, but for this project, I used jelly roll fabric that I cut in half length-wise. Since jelly roll fabric measures 4 inches across, my ruffle strips are 2 inches wide. Your cutting does not have to be perfect--my fabric strip is skinnier in some places, and that adds to its charm. Cut your fabric length so that it fits across your entire unsewn bag. I used pinking shears for all of my ruffle cuts (so that my fabric doesn't fray or unravel).

You're ready to make your ruffle now. I learned how to do this through trial and error years ago before blogs about this type of thing really existed. I'm sure there are great tutorials out there, but this method works for me. First, set your stitch length to 4 (mine is normally at a 1 or 2). Then start sewing down the middle of your fabric strip.  Do not back stitch when you start sewing. Wait until you reach the end of the strip.

Because you didn't back stitch, you will be able to pull your thread and ruffle your fabric, like this...

You'll have to pull the fabric and the thread until you get your ruffle just the way you want it. Sometimes the thread does break, but I'm usually able to save my ruffle, which will now be half the length of your bag. Place it on the front-to-be of your bag and sew it on. I like to run my stitch down the center of the ruffle if the ruffle is smaller. For larger ruffles, you can run your ruffling stitch a little off center and then sew the ruffle a little off center to the other side. You get a neat double stitch look that looks completely centered!

You are almost done. Simply fold your cloth over so that the inside-to-be of your bag is showing and stitch all three sides. Don't stitch through your ribbon or string. You've already sewn the edges of the holes that your ribbon goes through, so they will look nice and won't start fraying no matter how many times the bag is cinched.

Because I can't cut or sew a straight line, I like to neaten up the edges with pinking shears before I turn the bag out.

Done! This might sound complicated (and you will make some mistakes--I make lots of them), but once you get the hang of it, it is sew easy and sew fun to make your own bags. My daughter thinks that word play is sew funny! Happy sewing.--Melissa


No comments:

Post a Comment