Tuesday, May 7, 2013

My New Bathroom Vanity Countertop--Magic in a Paint Can!

About 20 years ago, when my husband and I built this house, I really, really wish I'd chosen a more neutral sink for the vanity in our master bathroom. Something more like this...





















Instead, I chose this--






















What was I thinking? When I began this bathroom remodel, I'd just about resigned myself to living with this ugly sink until I stumbled across this great tutorial that explained how to paint a bathroom sink from It All Started With Paint. I've never been one to back down from any type of challenge, so I decided to give it a go. Plus, I have a wonderful husband who always says, "What's the worst that could happen?"


The product I used was made, of course, by Rustoleum. Before I painted, the sink had to be thoroughly cleaned and then sanded. There are two cans of product in this kit. One was the actual paint and the other can contained the activator. After mixing the two together, you're ready to go.

















The paint was very easy to apply using a regular paint brush. I chose a relatively inexpensive brush because I really hate cleaning brushes and knew once the project was done, I'd be pitching it. I did apply two coats and stored the brush in a plastic, zip-lock bag in between coats.

















This project only took a few hours to paint but the drying time was approximately three days. I waited about one day and then painted the fixture and drain in the bottom of the sink. We really like the final results.
















Next, I'll be painting the walls with a Sherwin Williams color called Sea Salt. I like it because it's one of those colors that seems to change colors based on the lighting. Right now the walls are yellowish, so this will be a nice change.

No comments:

Post a Comment